Monday, November 12, 2012

San Francisco!

Something I have wanted to do every since we moved here was go to San Francisco for the day. It's not a long drive (that is at the right time. It seems like half the days here are considered rush hour) so luckily we can take a day to go.

 This past Friday, November 9th, we finally got to do so! Since it was my first time to spend an extended period in the beautiful city we decided to start with the touristy spots. I didn't take a ton of pictures at everything we did, but I did take a lot of pictures at the Golden Gate Bridge. My oldest niece, Grace, learned about the GGB at her school around the time we were moving to California. It was super fun that she would know even just the smallest thing about the area we are moving to. One of the saddest parts of leaving our nieces and nephews is the idea that maybe they won't understand where we are after being so close for awhile. So it brings me a little joy to know she kind of knows where we are. Whether or not she realizes how far away California is, is a whole different question!

We decided we'd choose where to start based on the weather. We knew it could rain in the late afternoon, we also wanted to avoid the fog that we encountered the last time we went to the bridge (on a brief stop in SF). As soon as we were getting in to Oakland, we got a view of the bay and realized it would be best to go straight to the bridge since it was clear.

First, though, I had to take a picture while crossing the Bay Bridge. I had a conversation with my mother regarding whether or not all the big bridges here were scary so I wanted to show her how big they are. Driving over the bridges around the bay isn't scary because they are so big, it feels like a normal road! And they are so big you barely see water close to you.


 Here you go, Grace! This is the big bridge you've studied. I can't wait til you come see it for yourself!



View of the bay.



View of San Francisco from the bridge.





Tyler and I on a Pier close to Pier 39.


The famous sea lions that hang out at Pier 39.


Taking a quick break at Ghiradelli Square.


I found some beach area! And there were people swimming in this little area. They were crazy. It was freezing outside and I bet the water was a thousand times worse. They must have been training for something.


View of the Golden Gate Bridge from a pier.


Alcatraz



Last view of San Francisco from a pier.


It was a super fun day of just walking around, being outside, and getting a feel for San Francisco. We did stop and have some fish for lunch. Walking around Fisherman's Wharf with that smell of delicious fresh fish, I could not resist! We drove through some parts I'd really love to go back to! We did drive ourselves. I think next time I'd like to take the train to see if it's less stressful when you don't have to worry about parking or driving in the craziness that big cities can be. I'm known as the long distance driver in the family, Tyler handles the cities. I'd go crazy driving in all that! The downside to taking the train would be a little less freedom. But big cities have such good public transportation, so I don't think it'd be too bad!

Well, that's our latest adventure!

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful day to get to explore..!! love the sea lions basking in the sun...can you imagine the abdominal muscles it takes for them to jump up there...! love also that you're getting out and exploring....oh, to be young, in a new place....!

    ReplyDelete